Journal of Korean Society of Ultrasound in Medicine 2009;28(2): 83-91.
The Value of Sonographic Evaluation of the Appendix in Patient with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: Correlation with CT, clinical, and Pathological Findings.
Hoon Han, Kyung Mi Jang, Min Jeong Kim, Eui Yong Jeon, Kwanseop Lee, Sung Hye Koh, Kwangseon Min
1Department of Radiology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Korea. jkm7290@empal.com
2Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Korea.
  Published online: June 1, 2009.
ABSTRACT
PURPOSE: To assess the sonographic evaluation of the appendix in patients with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) using CT, clinical, and pathological comparisons. MATERIALS AND METHODS: During a three-year period, 51 patients with PID underwent appendix US and abdomino-pelvic CT. The findings of appendix on US were classified into three categories (normal appendix, normal appendix with inflamed periappendiceal fat, and acute appendicitis). Based on the CT analysis, the condition of the appendix was classified into five categories, namely ('normal, 'probably normal', 'equivocal CT findings for diagnosis of appendicitis', 'probable appendicitis', 'definite appendicitis'). The CT and US results were then correlate with clinical and pathological findings. RESULTS: Of 21 patients with definite or probable appendicitis as shown by CT analysis, US demonstrated normal appendix in 10 patients (48%), normal appendix with inflamed periappendiceal fat in 10 patients (48%), and primary appendicitis in the remaining patient (4%). Of 25 patients with normal or probably normal appendix as shown by CT analysis, US demonstrated normal appendix in 24 patients (96%), and primary appendicitis in the remaining patient (4%). The two patients with primary appendicitis, as shown by US, underwent appendectomy and pathological studies revealed primary appendicitis. CONCLUSION: A sonographic evaluation of the appendix in patients with PID improved the diagnostic accuracy for primary appendicitis.
Keywords: Appendicitis; Sonography; Pelvic inflammatory disease Appendix, inflammation
TOOLS
Full text via DOI  Full text via DOI
METRICS
451
View
2
Download
We recommend
Editorial Office
A-304 Mapo Trapalace, 53 Mapo-daero, Mapo-gu, Seoul 04158, Korea
TEL : +82-2-763-5627   FAX : +82-2-763-6909   E-mail : office@ultrasound.or.kr
About |  Browse Articles |  Current Issue |  For Authors and Reviewers
Copyright © Korean Society of Ultrasound in Medicine. All rights reserved.                 Developed in M2PI
Close layer
prev next